Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

News about the next update

Greetings.

I know players are anxiously waiting for an update about the state of Asheron’s Call. (This is probably because I promised to have an update early this week.) We want to have an honest discussion about our future plans, even though we still have outstanding challenges to solve before we can put those plans into place.

We are working hard on the February update, and we hope to have the update finished this week. We are aiming for a patch a week from Tuesday, on March 4th. As always, if we run into bugs or problems that date might have to change. This caveat is why we generally don’t release dates before the patch is approved, but in this case I suspect players would rather have tentative information than none at all.

February includes some cool new features:

~ The random rewards for the Viridian Rise have been reworked and most of the consumable rewards have been removed.

~ A brand new coliseum to challenge players and top end characters.

~ Enhancements to the three societies, the Celestial Hand, the Eldrytch Web, and the Radiant Blood.

~ Paragon weapons. Characters can slowly enhance their favorite weapons by forging them into Paragon weapons. The process that will send characters all over Dereth to prove themselves by completing heroic tasks and gaining Luminance. Though the process is involved, Paragon weapons gain levels and empower the user with substantial benefits. The process can enhance melee weapons, missile weapons or casters.

(This process will work on most quest and loot weapons that do not already have set spells.)

~ Enlightenment. A system designed for our most dedicated players, Enlightenment allows a character who has reached the pinnacle of levels and Luminance to let it all go and start over. The process of Enlightenment is certainly not for the faint of heart, but enlightenment will provide an avenue for players to prove that they are some of the most hardcore players of the game.

~ An enlightened character proves themselves by sacrificing all experience, levels, Luminance, and Luminance augmentations.
    ~ The character starts fresh, gaining a title, an extra point in all trained and specialized skills, and two extra Vitality points.
    ~ Enlightened characters retain their normal augmentations. They no longer have to spend experience points on those augmentations as they level.

~ The cost of major armatures has been fixed.

~ The value of massive mana stones has been restored.

Once this next update is in the hands of the players, the updates to Asheron’s Call will be limited. We intend to fix critical bugs and continue maintenance and support on the game. While there is always a chance we will put out a small update if time permits, players should have the expectation that updates will be limited to maintenance, bug fixes, and perhaps balance iterations of February content such as the new Coliseum.

Let me reiterate that we have no plans to close Asheron’s Call. We plan to keep the game open and the servers running.

Although this change of focus is necessary for our company, we love the Asheron’s Call games and we want them to live forever. We understand that players who have been enjoying our monthly updates will be disappointed at the change to Asheron’s Call. Our long term plan is to make the game free to all active accounts. We are working on a date in the not-to-distant future where all active accounts will be able to play the game for free. Asheron’s Call and Asheron’s Call 2 will be a gift to our loyal players.

In addition, we have been working within the company to start an initiative sometime near the end of the year to allow players to run their own Asheron’s Call servers. We intend to put the call out to tech savvy enthusiasts that love Asheron’s Call to create a community for players who want to run their own Asheron’s Call servers.

Unfortunately, setting up and running an AC server is not a user friendly experience. Enthusiasts would need some knowledge of running an SQL server, setting up the network, using our tools to configure the SQL server, installing the Asheron’s Call server with our complicated tools, and distributing the client. Our intent is to help these players build a community so these processes can be created and distributed to people interested in running an Asheron’s Call game. If that works out we can look into releasing tools and data files that would allow players to modify game data and create alternate content for their own Asheron’s Call games.

Thank you for being part of the Asheron’s Call community.
    Last edited by Severlin; 02-25-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Re: News about the next update

Sev, while there are parts of your note that make me sad, overall, I'm blown away by the intent of the Feb patch, and more importantly, for what Turbine intends to do with Asheron's Call (free to play, player owned servers/instances); it is truly enlightened.

THANK YOU to you, the team and the company for many, many (too many, lol) hours, days, weeks, months and years of great times and memories.
    Last edited by grudge; 02-25-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: edit: Asheron's, not Asheron... 14 years to get it right

Right before it goes free I will Re-Sub again.
    Probie - XBow
    Death Troll - Void/Summon

Uhhh. Enlightenment needs to be at least +5 to all skills. +1 is a bit of an insult for a ton of work...

Thanks for the update! I really do appreciate all you do for us!
    Klien Rox

Quote Originally Posted by dexmonkey View Post
    FYI this template is called the Tugaker. It's the new Og mage.

While I applaud you letting the community know what's up. I can't help but feel sad reading this news.

Edit: I want to echo what others are saying and that I appreciate all that the AC Devs have done for the community as a whole over the years.
    Last edited by Namby_Pamby; 02-25-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Giving the Devs praise.

Well what do you know...the sky really is falling. Wouldn't you have to "release the code" as they say in order for people to run their own servers? I'm a Network Engineer, not a developer so I know nothing of these matters.
    Keith WP
    Bitter Since 1994

I don't quite know how to react, that's both awesome and yet sad at the same time.

I'll just reiterate grudge - THANKS to everyone involved in AC over the years for many memorable experiences in the past and, I'm sure, yet to come.
    Frostfell

Quote Originally Posted by drthunder2 View Post
    Uhhh. Enlightenment needs to be at least +5 to all skills. +1 is a bit of an insult for a ton of work...

Thanks for the update! I really do appreciate all you do for us!
    If we made enlightenment that rewarding players would feel compelled to complete it for the benefits. That's definitely not our intent, as we feel this would be fun for people who love leveling but not for everyone. We want enlightenment to be completely optional, yet still providing a reason for players who like playing through the lower level content a reason to do so.

Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle P View Post
    Well what do you know...the sky really is falling. Wouldn't you have to "release the code" as they say in order for people to run their own servers? I'm a Network Engineer, not a developer so I know nothing of these matters.
    Releasing the source code is not necessary and definitely not in our plan.

Sev~

I rarely log in to this site but I had to do it today. Thank you for the long term goals you have for AC. I don't care much about the monthly update thing. I returned after almost a decade and it will take me a long time to "catch up". If you follow through on your plans, I will have my own server up and running some day and my family and friends will have endless fun.

I have been so disappointed with Turbine over the years and you often fail to follow through on things, but I do trust that your goals are honest [and] I will be wishing you luck in being successful in this goal.
    Last edited by ReRetread; 02-25-2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: changed "in" to "and"

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    Sev, while there are parts of your note that make me sad, overall, I'm blown away by the intent of the Feb patch, and more importantly, for what Turbine intends to do with Asheron's Call (free to play, player owned servers/instances); it is truly enlightened.

THANK YOU to you, the team and the company for many, many (too many, lol) hours, days, weeks, months and years of great times and memories.
    This.

You can tell that the people who run it truly love it and respect the game, its playerbase and it's legacy.

Thank you all so much, I will play til the lights go out.

I started in June of 2000 on a friends account and then on my own account in February of 2002. Many memories, many friends. I love you all.
    Last edited by Uncle P; 02-25-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Update
    Keith WP
    Bitter Since 1994

I VOLUNTEER! Yes yes a hundred million thousand times yes. I have the means and skill and and yay!

Also, I appreciate all the work everyone has done on AC over the years. I've been friends with my mage since my 15th birthday and I had played well before that on a different account before I could get my own. I look forward to continuing to pay until the game goes free so I can enjoy the last 14+ years worth of content.

I really hope that the file release works out so we can create our own custom AC worlds with our own live events and story lines to continue the legacy of AC for years to come.
    Last edited by Xanius; 02-25-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    If we made enlightenment that rewarding players would feel compelled to complete it for the benefits. That's definitely not our intent, as we feel this would be fun for people who love leveling but not for everyone. We want enlightenment to be completely optional, yet still providing a reason for players who like playing through the lower level content a reason to do so.

Sev~
    Will it at least be +1 to base skills? I would prefer a different system that flagged us for a reset in another way (like titles) instead of full luminance... that's just brutal.
    Klien Rox

Quote Originally Posted by dexmonkey View Post
    FYI this template is called the Tugaker. It's the new Og mage.

Really saddened there won't be any more updates. I looked forward to patch day each and ever month. RIP.
    Krakatau ● DT Level 275 ● Title Count: 433

Rest in peace Asheron's Call.
    Testify/Sozin/TBL/Dagger Demon
    -Legacy-

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast