Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

An elegant solution to mansion barriers on DT

Remove the ability to open one's house specifically to one's allegiance.

If one wishes to allow one's allegiance to use one's house, then one must open it to the general public. Otherwise, one is restricted to the limited /guest list.

I admit the idea came to me from the olthoi thread, but I decided that this is a separate enough issue to require its own thread, as it's not specific to olthoi play. This allows Dereth's private denizens with housing to set up trade bots et al, but prevents true allegiance housing from becoming a safe zone. It would also require trivial additional coding; simply remove the status and command.
    Please bear in mind as you read my posts that I have been through multiple laser surgeries and eye injections. My spelling and grammar have suffered as a result. I would normally be ashamed of the level of errors I make these days in my posts.

Re: An elegant solution to mansion barriers on DT

Quote Originally Posted by angier View Post
    remove the ability to open one's house specifically to one's allegiance.

If one wishes to allow one's allegiance to use one's house, then one must open it to the general public. Otherwise, one is restricted to the limited /guest list.

I admit the idea came to me from the olthoi thread, but i decided that this is a separate enough issue to require its own thread, as it's not specific to olthoi play. This allows dereth's private denizens with housing to set up trade bots et al, but prevents true allegiance housing from becoming a safe zone. It would also require trivial additional coding; simply remove the status and command.
    +1
    "Victi, Vincimus!"

Darktide
    Richard the Lionhearted

But do they actually do DT only changes? I think you would get lots of complaints from white worlds on this.

Although being without a monarchy or mansion myself, i would love to be able to pop into someone else's mansion to use their portal devices.

Not everyone on DT belongs to a powerful allegiance with two dozen maxed out, geared out, lumed out characters. Being as such, DT is already more of a challenge for the few smaller guilds that exist. Making the smaller guilds more vulnerable, when the larger more, more powerful guilds would hardly be affected, doesn't make sense at all. For example, I believe Partyboy keeps their mansion barriers down.

This isn't 2002 Darktide. Housing barriers have been around for 10 years now and the game has evolved in a way that to just turn them off now would cause some major disruption. There is no elegant solution for a something that was a problem a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzapt View Post
    Not everyone on DT belongs to a powerful allegiance with two dozen maxed out, geared out, lumed out characters. Being as such, DT is already more of a challenge for the few smaller guilds that exist. Making the smaller guilds more vulnerable, when the larger more, more powerful guilds would hardly be affected, doesn't make sense at all.
    Huh? It's totally the opposite. Smaller allegiances have virtually no targets of value at their mansions; large allegiances have people going AFK constantly, rare mules, etc. etc.

I camped the PB mansion for like a month once -- just logged off there whenever I was done for the day, logged on with my deadly hollow in hand ready to start whacking, and it was like I was opening a secret santa christmas present every time I logged in... never knew when you'd get a rare mule.
    Ingame on Darktide as "An Explorer".

"I don't think it's a good idea to expose unsuspecting prisoners to Darktide's general chat." ~Severlin

Also, the vast majority of DTers want less safe zones and less easy-mode. I like Angier's idea, personally.

"I don't think it's a good idea to expose unsuspecting prisoners to Darktide's general chat." ~Severlin

Is there a limit to how many guests you can have? I think Angier's idea covers the smaller allegiances if so, just by allowing them the choice of keeping their barrier up if they have enough room on the guest list.

Quote Originally Posted by Televangelist View Post
    Huh? It's totally the opposite. Smaller allegiances have virtually no targets of value at their mansions; large allegiances have people going AFK constantly, rare mules, etc. etc.
    While your reasoning may seem sound from your perspective, I think you overestimate the intelligence of the rest of the server. Being a target of value and a target of "you pissed me off, now I'm gunna devote hours to griefing you" are rarely two different things on Darktide. In fact, I think the latter is more prominent.

I'm certainly not opposed to dropping barriers, but other things need to happen too to make that a viable option, for balance reasons. Old portal routes need to come back, towns and lifestones need to be made more useful again, etc. Like I said, there's no elegant solution.

While your reasoning may seem sound from your perspective, I think you overestimate the intelligence of the rest of the server. Being a target of value and a target of "you pissed me off, now I'm gunna devote hours to griefing you" are rarely two different things on Darktide. In fact, I think the latter is more prominent.
    If people devote hours to camping your house, don't go to your house. Making yourself hard to find is a time-honored DT tradition. Base your guild at Mountain Retreat, for example, and I guarantee you you'll be left alone. This is not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vain View Post
    But do they actually do DT only changes? I think you would get lots of complaints from white worlds on this.

Although being without a monarchy or mansion myself, i would love to be able to pop into someone else's mansion to use their portal devices.
    Your kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by Televangelist View Post
    If people devote hours to camping your house, don't go to your house. Making yourself hard to find is a time-honored DT tradition. Base your guild at Mountain Retreat, for example, and I guarantee you you'll be left alone. This is not hard.
    Which is exactly why I said bring back portal routes and make lifestones/towns more useful again. I would love to be able to use Mountain Retreat for a 'base of operations', unfortunately it's just not viable nowadays.

Griefing is what made DT what it is today.

Kill barriers PLEASE. I support angiers idea.
    Member of Partyboy (Darktide)
    In Game: Kickit Has Returned | Dirty Sloth
    Permanent follower of Blood.
    DT from the start til the end.
    Retired: Fizzle Nut, Silent Sloth, Lythia, Al-Zor, Shoan, Cronos the Viking, Super-Utensil.

I'm certainly not opposed to dropping barriers, but other things need to happen too to make that a viable option, for balance reasons. Old portal routes need to come back, towns and lifestones need to be made more useful again, etc. Like I said, there's no elegant solution.
    I disagree with your earlier argument of small vs large allegiances, but it was a valid point to make. What you have here is invalid. There's no relationship between opening allegiance housing and existing portals and lifestones. This is just a delay tactic.
    Please bear in mind as you read my posts that I have been through multiple laser surgeries and eye injections. My spelling and grammar have suffered as a result. I would normally be ashamed of the level of errors I make these days in my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Angier View Post
    Remove the ability to open one's house specifically to one's allegiance.

I admit the idea came to me from the olthoi thread, but I decided that this is a separate enough issue to require its own thread, as it's not specific to olthoi play. This allows Dereth's private denizens with housing to set up trade bots et al, but prevents true allegiance housing from becoming a safe zone. It would also require trivial additional coding; simply remove the status and command.

++++++++++++++!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Splendid Idea, btw.
    I find it hilarious how ac players are putting more effort into getting the game working than turbine is
    -Franchise
    Darktide.

Quote Originally Posted by Vain View Post
    why would it matter on white worlds?

OMG HE CAME IN MY MANSION AND LOOKED AT MY STUFF!!!! AND THEN HE USED MY PORTAL DEVICE!

for that reason?
    Klien Rox

Quote Originally Posted by dexmonkey View Post
    FYI this template is called the Tugaker. It's the new Og mage.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast