Page 10 of 73 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast

Re: Knowledge is Power

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    Your weapons will do more damage to the PvE environment come the patch. They aren't losing anything, and creatures aren't being balanced up to compensate. I think that's why you are having trouble expressing the issue; your perspective is being skewed purposely to make a point.

Now, if your point is "I don't want to have to upgrade my stuff ever" then I don't think a reasonable expectation, not only for AC but for any ongoing game with updates.

It is fundamental to our design criteria to have frequent loot updates. More players are online when there's new loot to hunt. Players have reasons to quest and hunt the landscape. There is statistical proof that players as a whole like to play the game when there is new stuff to find. While we try to listen to the players as much as we can, some design concepts are critical to the success of the game and loot updates is one of those concepts.

This isn't based on opinion, but rather based on statistical data and trend analysis throughout the years that the game has been running. Because of this it is one design concept we can't really compromise on; new loot comes out all the time. Sometimes it's truly new, like Trinkets, Aetheria, and Cloaks. Sometimes it's a new bunch of items that replace current items. Most of our big updates have new loot to find. And we can't introduce a whole new loot type with every big patch.

It pains me to see players rail against the introduction of new loot, but the data behind the scenes shows this as critical to our success.

Sev~
    That makes sense in the abstract, but the thing is, players will still have plenty of new loot to track down this patch either way!

My UA character that will now be Light Weapons is going to be tracking down Light Axes or other full-power-swing light weapons. My sword character would be tracking down Heavy UAs.

Other characters will be seeking out armor pieces with the five new cantrips (Shield, Dirty Fighting, Dual Wield, Recklessness, Sneak Attack) on them. Bowyers will likely want XBows for some purposes, and vice versa.

And that's even before you get into the possible +25% to attack mods! People will want to hunt for those, too.

Before the weapon-nerf-as-far-as-PvP-is-concerned, I already had my work cut out for me in terms of new loot hunting with this patch.

I understand that sometimes loot needs to change to keep the playerbase engaged, but there's a time and a place for that, and that's when you introduce a new loot tier.

But you're not introducing a new loot tier. You're invalidating current PvP weapons without the promise of something truly bigger and better; we're basically just being forced to expend effort to tread water.

Imagine if, when you introduced GY gems or bunny feet, they only worked on new weapons that dropped!

Imagine how silly that would be!

That's more or less what you're proposing here, when you boil down to it.
    Ingame on Darktide as "An Explorer".

"I don't think it's a good idea to expose unsuspecting prisoners to Darktide's general chat." ~Severlin

Quote Originally Posted by Brokin View Post
    New loot = new stuff to do. And that is GOOD. Plus, when new loot becomes available, we have always been able to continue using what we already have as we search for that next little boost... be it a new loot tier (major or minor), a new equipment slot, new armor style, etc...
    Your point only holds for PvE. But we're not talking a new loot tier, even... we're just talking about slightly better stuff.

If always being in the hunt for upgrading your loot is good in and of itself, then why not have weapons simply 'decay', losing one point from their maximum damage every month? You'll always be in the hunt then, enjoy.

"I don't think it's a good idea to expose unsuspecting prisoners to Darktide's general chat." ~Severlin

Quote Originally Posted by thegame2 View Post
    What we are railing against is the fact that we no longer maintain our individuality, especially when it comes to quest weapons. I planned on making my UA/Void into Heavy/Void due to the most damage and take a hit on train Shield Skill. Now I come to find out Heavy UA is missing the majority of the slayers? Now I no longer want to be Heavy UA, effectively changing the identity of my character.
    I think you mught be overstating the "FLAVOR" just a wee bit. I have several melee toons. Mostly so I had someone to use variopus weapons I find. When I play sword I don't feel more "flavorful" fighting Olthoi, just gimped as my macer is much better at that.

I don't see an Axe warrior and think, my how fascinating...so different than a mace character...let me watch him and see how he fights differently. Oh, he target and swings until dead, with the same animation and a slightly different weapon.

I don't look at someone playing a spear toon and think, oh thank god, the game is so much more diverse now. I just feel sorry for them knowing their kinda gimpy. But if they are happy, so be it.

Now, melee will be closer to mage and missile in that you can fight with all the elements effectively.

I get that you feel you are losing something, I just don't share the sense of loss. I don't think most melee will. Most will be happier having effective weapons in every element, than sad for loss of flavor.

Your weapons will do more damage to the PvE environment come the patch. They aren't losing anything, and creatures aren't being balanced up to compensate. I think that's why you are having trouble expressing the issue; your perspective is being skewed purposely to make a point.

Now, if your point is "I don't want to have to upgrade my stuff ever" then I don't think a reasonable expectation, not only for AC but for any ongoing game with updates.

It is fundamental to our design criteria to have frequent loot updates. More players are online when there's new loot to hunt. Players have reasons to quest and hunt the landscape. There is statistical proof that players as a whole like to play the game when there is new stuff to find. While we try to listen to the players as much as we can, some design concepts are critical to the success of the game and loot updates is one of those concepts.

This isn't based on opinion, but rather based on statistical data and trend analysis throughout the years that the game has been running. Because of this it is one design concept we can't really compromise on; new loot comes out all the time. Sometimes it's truly new, like Trinkets, Aetheria, and Cloaks. Sometimes it's a new bunch of items that replace current items. Most of our big updates have new loot to find. And we can't introduce a whole new loot type with every big patch.

It pains me to see players rail against the introduction of new loot, but the data behind the scenes shows this as critical to our success.

Sev~
    I was already planning on updating several whole characters worth of gear. I've been hunting keys like mad in preparation for this. I WILL BE FRANTICALLY HUNTING NEW LOOT EVEN IF YOU DON'T TRASH MY WEAPONS. My weapons may be better overall, but they're still getting indirectly nerfed. I don't pick up 1 under max weapons. My mules can't handle it, and I can't keep them organized if I do. You are turning my good weapons into trash. I, many of the other players, and apparently even you think we aren't ready for another loot tier. This is a new loot tier for weapons plain and simple. If you can't compromise, then instead of playing more trying to get geared up on my new templates, I won't be playing at all. I am also VERY disappointed by the "flavor" options we will have. This sounds a whole lot like the bland everyone-is-the-sameness all those chicken littles were screaming about.
    Co-Monarch - Morningthaw's Watchers of Ilservian Palacost
    Master of the Radiant Blood

Loompah - 177 mace/TW
    Vitae Boy - 275 meleeless mage
    Je - 266 lifeless bow/sword
    Bhai Dayala - 275 void
    Guineo - 205 UA
    Urgleflogger - 233 sword

In regards to the weapon mastery augmentations: would it be possible to make the mastery apply to all quest weapons, no matter the weapon type? Seems this would help quench a lot of concerns.

Also, I also agree that current max weapons should be max weapons after the patch. if you're going to give them any kind of bump, might as well make it a complete bump. I agree with the "if your going to introduce a new loot tier, do a new loot tier, don't do it half way" mentality. it might not be a big deal to the developers, but its a huge deal to players. Also, it seems to me the big concern is top end damage, not necessarily variance (although there should be concern there too). As easy solution (in my mind) would be to just bump up all top weapons by the difference between current maxes and new maxes. In other words, if new max for swords is 38-63, simply bump all top end damage on ALL swords by 3 and the variance by 10-15%. Would fix a lot of issues i think.

And lastly, i've asked a couple times but never gotten a response: will anything be changing with hilted weapons? can they be slayered since a hilt will no longer be required to make them multi-strike?
    Klien Rox

Quote Originally Posted by dexmonkey View Post
    FYI this template is called the Tugaker. It's the new Og mage.

Quote Originally Posted by thegame2 View Post
    What we are railing against is the fact that we no longer maintain our individuality, especially when it comes to quest weapons. I planned on making my UA/Void into Heavy/Void due to the most damage and take a hit on train Shield Skill. Now I come to find out Heavy UA is missing the majority of the slayers? Now I no longer want to be Heavy UA, effectively changing the identity of my character.
    To clarify, your main concern is that you want more weapon types to be represented on the most popular slayer weapon suites?

Sev~

To clarify, your main concern is that you want more weapon types to be represented on the most popular slayer weapon suites?

Sev~
    I share the same concern. But I like the idea that was just brought up. Mastery works on all quest weapons, PERIOD.

Sev~
    That would be nice, but I like the suggestion above of making masteries go into effect for all quest weapons, regardless of their visual appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by NoWorries View Post
    We said that weapons would convert over to the new ranges but we had also talked about no weapons getting the new maxes automatically.
    Melee weapons have gotten a slight increase in damage overall. Weapons will convert over to the new ranges but current maxes will be 1 or 2 points below new max.
    All melee classes will be doing more damage than they were before when February hits without finding any new weapons. If players want the new absolute max they will need to find them.
    Mages and Archers can now profit like mad off of the desires of melees to re-acquire max gear while they have to look for nothing. Thanks Turbine.

Seriously, I don't know how much it feels like you're pulling the rug out from under us (melees). Deception, Sneak Attack, Recklessness, Shield - 3 new DPS skills and 1 protection skill for 1hand melees (other types can use too of course) that we will need buffs/cantrips for on top of new max weapons, new quest weapons to go get, and new off-Mastery weapons to get.

What were you thinking doing a 1/2 Tier upgrade to melee weapons? Convert to max and stop screwing with melee players.

The next 2 months the richest players will be Archers/Mages who can sell all the top notch melee weapons they find while needing to spend 0 mmds or any other currency themselves.

Missile Weapons did not receive a damage boost due to 1)Being above the damage curve already due to alt currency damage numbers becoming the norm through new crafting/prismatics and 2) Bow becoming 2 points cheaper while still doing the same damage.
    If Bow damage didn't change because everything is being balanced to it, did (or why did) sword damage get a change if everything is being balanced to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Televangelist View Post
    This is a terrible decision, and I hope you guys reconsider.

If you want to invalidate current weapons with a new loot tier -- fair enough, do that.

But you're talking about arbitrarily taking current weapons that go for 1.5k to 2.5k MMDs -- max bd8 major bt -- and turning them into max bd8 + 2, aka "nobody will buy it, so turn it into a rend or give it away for free".

When you have the technology to avoid this happening, and you have no particular design imperative (such as a new loot tier) that's requiring it.
    ^This

Quote Originally Posted by jagger View Post
    The notion of regrinding loot and currency makes me physically ill. I don't macro, I play casually and I'm not lucky. I'm happy for the most part with the changes, but the additional damage increases to weapons seems so unnecessary. I just don't understand why?
    While casual players suffer the most, expect a lot of drama all around as people who usually just xp macro alts get after macroing Lum areas for easier and increased access to MFKs and top loot. Non-casual players who don't UCM will also take a big hit as their Lum hunting areas will be more populated w/ macros.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokin View Post
    New loot = new stuff to do. And that is GOOD. Plus, when new loot becomes available, we have always been able to continue using what we already have as we search for that next little boost... be it a new loot tier (major or minor), a new equipment slot, new armor style, etc...
    I could understand this IF we weren't also having to simultaneously work on figuring out how new skills work, what the advantages and disadvantages of each were, how they impact new template designs, etc. Yes we've been able to speculate about new templates and such on the boards, but outside of those on the test server, the player base at large has no experience with these and that alone will take time to figure out and adjust to.

These new skills and re-ordering of melee "classes" will be a lot to discover and get used to. Hell, we've already got quests we need to re-run now to get quest weapons! I'm frankly not going to find looking for 38 new swords, PLUS new Heavy Non-Swords anything remotely close to "fun" and I believe many (it not most) others would agree.
    Monarch of the Archangels of Armageddon
    http://freewebs.com/aoaofac
    Paul Mua'dib - 275 Swordsman
    AoA and it's 4 Officers: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...zer/aoafin.jpg

so as with anything..

just collect and keep the best and u guys should make it okay )
    sup. hey turbine, can you please fix the loot on creatures in caves and dungeons that have crap loot. (especially related to quests). XOXOOX

I just thought of something important to ask about. You say that existing loot gen weapons (ie. swords) will be converted to the new types (ie. heavy) based on what skills the players has trained when they login. I happen to have many swords stashed away on mules who do not have sword trained. Should I be moving all the swords I have onto sword characters before I login after the patch? Also, what if I have sword and UA trained (which I do) how will it know whether to convert them to heavy or light?
    蝴蝶 会意字 / 會意字 指事字

They are converted based on what skill they use. The character or chest holding them has no bearing on what happens to them.
    Shen-Mara: 275 Life/Melee Archer with 340 Titles.
    Shen-Xiang: 275 Unarmed/Heavy/Dual Warrior
    Dark Serena: 275 Void/Melee Mage
    Senshi Shuzaya: 275 Life/Melee Heavy Sword
    Mara bint Ferah: 275 Shadow Reckless Archer
    Shoalin: 275 Melee 2H
    Sailor Jupiter: 275 Grief Finesse Spear

Leafcull server forever.

Quote Originally Posted by NoWorries View Post
    Swift set is now Sprint, Jump, Finesse Weapons, Dual Wield and Sneak Attack. There is also a good chance the SWift set will be renamed to something more fitting such as Rogue's set.
    how exactly will dual wield skill work?
    Klien Rox

Quote Originally Posted by dexmonkey View Post
    FYI this template is called the Tugaker. It's the new Og mage.

Quote Originally Posted by drthunder2 View Post
    how exactly will dual wield skill work?
    Like this: http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Muadib_HG View Post
    Mages and Archers can now profit like mad off of the desires of melees to re-acquire max gear while they have to look for nothing. Thanks Turbine.
    So Tukov and Braxxen Val'Or will make a killing gouging Paul Mua'dib and Kaarsten Sul on the melee weapons they find?

Most players I know have toons in every class these days. Even the most casual players usually play more than one toon. It is a bit of a straw man creating a class warfare argument as if there are a significant number of players dedicated to melee only and other dedicated to mage.

Heck, one of the most common responses I hear when someone asks in /a if anyone needs a wand or sword or whatever they just pulled is "Oh, I could use that on my void mage, or I could use that on my archer." Just about everyone plays multiple toons and classes.

Page 10 of 73 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast