Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rare Weapons

Registered User Thadda Al-Munik's Avatar

Rare Weapons

Is it possible to do an npc interaction that would remove the current property on a weapon and replace it with some of the old abilities?

The reason I ask is because some of the weapons appear watered down in the latest update for rares.

One good example is Renari's Equalizer. You removed the AR/BS/CB properties for slash rending. It is those properties that would enable the higher levels to want to wield this weapon, not slash rending. Slash rending would enable a low level, not a high level. I dont think the damage rating really helps either since not only does it require enormous amounts of xp to level, but a 10% max isnt much to write home about.

Another good example is the Pwyll Sword. It now has the Olthoi slayer and pierce rend, but once had BS/CB and slash rend. I know you upgraded the damage, but the weapon should be enabled for high levels with the slash rend and old abilities too. Same for the damage rating with this one.

Last example is skull puncher. You removed the CB property, lowered the damage it seems, and gave it skeleton slayer. Who would use pierce on skeletons? lol. I dont think the damage rating would help here either.

The whole point of the rare weapons were to wield items of true power. Many of us will never be able to wield one unless loaned , bought, stolen, or given, including myself. I would think something that allows some of the older stats to appear would enable uses at the high levels.

Re: Rare Weapons

As much as I despise the entire rare system, I have to agree.

The weapons (more rare than the armor I believe) are almost universally silly. I couldn't help but be confused as I read over their stats on the wiki.

Most of them don't even self-buff. Some of them have wasteful Epics. Some aren't even useful (like the pierce rending skeleton slayer UA). Another example: the undead slayer lightning rending wand? What?

As much as I despise rare weapons, these things should be seriously powerful because it's fun... well, as much fun as the terrible system can offer anyway.

Also, all of them offering the same set bonuses (so that optimum setup is a rare weapon + one rare armor piece) is a bit weird.

edit:

Here's an example of what I'd like to see for one weapon but also in general.

Eye of Muramm
    Undead Slayer, Crushing Blow, Biting Strike (instead of Lightning Rending, CB / BS similar to Soulbound Staff)

+25% to Fire Damage (also has Epic Spirit Thirst)
    +29% to Melee D (instead of 18%)
    +40% to Mana C (why not?)

Casts:
    [That Fiery Oak Golem GY Boss' Fire Ring], and Epic War in addition to its other spells

With these upgrades the weapon would be worth using, instead of 'actually worse than most in-game weapons'. None of these stats are insanely unreasonable either - it's kind of like having a Soulbound, a melee d wand, and a GG tinked wand all in one... which is what such a super-rare SHOULD be.
    Last edited by meridian59gar; 03-02-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Honestly, I prefer them being slightly underpowered when it comes to special properties. This was traded off towards having higher base damage and being more readily available.

Prior to the Shedding Skin update the drop rate on armor and weapons was through the roof and it was basically unused content. How many people really had a rare weapon before that? 2-4 per server? how is that good?

also the set bonuses bring them more in line with the current state of things with sets on armor.
    Immortalbob

ACC Wiki <-- I pity the fools who don't contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    I'm an F-18, baby!
    <-- Like someone's post? Click the scale and give them some rep!

Rare weapons should be over-powered imo

I have to agree, this rare system is god awefull.

I have EASILY found over 1k rare crystals. I have found 3 rares that are not crystals and were completely worthless...

A 1 time use stanima elixer? - worthless

A 1 time use health elixer? - worthless

Gonzo's golden keyring? - completely worthless, can get same loot killing drudges around shoushi...and no alt currency what so ever in that chest.

These are supossed to be rare items? ....HUGH?

Then I look up the rare weapons and see some of the things others on this thread have mentioned...

Pierce skelly slayer?

lightning UD slayer?

wtf?

Another thing, why doesnt the rare jewelry level up like the weapons/armor?

Don't really know why I'm asking, I'll never ever see anything but crystals and worthless "filler" rares anyway lol
    MT
    Ardune - 1999
    Seven Eagles - 2001 (RIP)
    Some weird guy - 2002
    Paster of Muppets - 2002
    Fender Strat - 2003

HG
    Clever Name - 2004
    Clever Mage - 2004
    Clever Girl - 2004

Registered User ConnortheCraftmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Some_weird_guy View Post
    I have EASILY found over 1k rare crystals. I have found 3 rares that are not crystals and were completely worthless...

A 1 time use stanima elixer? - worthless

A 1 time use health elixer? - worthless

Then I look up the rare weapons and see some of the things others on this thread have mentioned...

Pierce skelly slayer?

lightning UD slayer?
    - I agree that items like the rare elixirs should be revised... for as rediculously rare as they are, you should get ~20 of them (they could be implemented in the form of a "boxed" item). If not quantity, then maybe a spell that periodically regenerates health/stam/mana for 15 minutes.

-The wrong damage types with the slaying weapons need to be confirmed as many of the rares have been changed... many of the wiki's entries are outdated at this point, and one should also factor in the weapon set before comparing it with other weapons. I haven't had the luxury of wielding a fully leveled rare weapon, so I have no idea on how to comment for/against it.

-Rare jewelry gives cantrips on slots that are not normally possible in loot, which helps their value. It'd be nice if the jewelry made it MUCH easier to make your character self buffing though.
    [size=1]A.K.A
    ------------
    Connor's Accountant (Darktide) <--Main
    Connor's Pet Olthoi (Darktide)
    Connor's Pet Flying Olthoi (Darktide)
    Archmage Cindrue (Verdantine)
    Connor the Craftsmaster (Verdantine)
    Connor's Sales Associate (Verdantine)
    [/size]

I have two healing kits - one for stamina, and one for mana. They are 5 uses each, but still really worthless. Why have the 5-use *and* eternal kits? Yes, obviously they are in different tiers, but those are the best rares I've found (or at least the highest tier). I'm all for rares being rare, but at some point there is a desire that you could actually find *one* decent armor/weapon after so many years of playing.

Registered User Thadda Al-Munik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amurrin View Post
    I have two healing kits - one for stamina, and one for mana. They are 5 uses each, but still really worthless. Why have the 5-use *and* eternal kits? Yes, obviously they are in different tiers, but those are the best rares I've found (or at least the highest tier). I'm all for rares being rare, but at some point there is a desire that you could actually find *one* decent armor/weapon after so many years of playing.
    I think they could at least put them 100 uses...I go thru blue kits relatively quick

Quote Originally Posted by ConnortheCraftmaster View Post
    -The wrong damage types with the slaying weapons need to be confirmed as many of the rares have been changed... many of the wiki's entries are outdated at this point, and one should also factor in the weapon set before comparing it with other weapons. I haven't had the luxury of wielding a fully leveled rare weapon, so I have no idea on how to comment for/against it..
    I spent time back in November or so reorganizing the rares page, there is no more old information on it. Keeping this page up to date is a pet project of mine, and i am always looking around the forums for rares that people find the wiki doesn't have up to date info on/any info at all.

http://ac.wikkii.net/wiki/Rares

Some of the rares actual pages haven't been updated yet, and that is due to no new information yet on those items. But anything on the Rares page that doesnt have a bunch of ??'s is up to date.
    Immortalbob

ACC Wiki <-- I pity the fools who don't contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    I'm an F-18, baby!
    <-- Like someone's post? Click the scale and give them some rep!

Registered User Lace-the-Pacebringer's Avatar

I have a strong distaste for rares but I do agree they should be very powerful.
    Darktide
    Eveil

Solclaim
    Lace-the-Pacebringer
    Djinn the Angel of Death

22:06:46 [General] Super Rub A Dub says, "lacethetruthbringer"

Proposal:

Make rares rarer BUT make them stronger?

I would love to hop on board and complain about how silly the rare weapons are... but as I'M NEVER GOING TO FIND ONE... I suppose I shouldn't care.
    Spiritoak 275 Xbow Tank
    Iamsolame 275 Tank War
    Dabren 275 Bow
    Smeg Head 275 Tank War
    Reliable 275 Trade bot
    Fu Man Blue 275 melee/War
    Astryn 275 Void/Melee
    Ten Fingers 275 2hander
    Marianela 275 Maxed Aug'd Tinker
    It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not. (Andre Gide)

Registered User Lace-the-Pacebringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krev View Post
    Proposal:

Make rares rarer BUT make them stronger?
    More rare as in non-existent? Delete all other rares in game now and I'm ok with that. :P
    Darktide
    Eveil

Solclaim
    Lace-the-Pacebringer
    Djinn the Angel of Death

22:06:46 [General] Super Rub A Dub says, "lacethetruthbringer"

I think a justifiable reason for *not* making rare weapons in particular super-uber is for the sake of PK. You don't want to have a few weapons out there that would just wreck shop on everyone irregardless of the possibility for dropping them (which has since been mitigated). In this respect, there is still the tradeoff of "risk of dropping vs. slightly greater power".

I think it would be awesome if people could do a one-time per character/account quest where you could get a rare weapon of your main attack type - an aspect similar to the Red Runed Silveran weapons. Restrict it to level 275, make it attuned so that only that character can wield it, only let it be able to be leveled up to 25 instead of 50...however you wish. The weapons aren't game-breaking, but they are something special that I think everyone would love to have.

Would it cause rares to not be valuable? I don't believe so. You would still be able to find others as rare drops, and could use them on any character. Think about FP salvage - they are actual *rares*, but you can also purchase them from the Colosseum vendor (or have writs for them). They may not command 25,000 MMD prices, but are still valuable, and certainly haven't made the game less.

Just my thoughts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritoak View Post
    I would love to hop on board and complain about how silly the rare weapons are... but as I'M NEVER GOING TO FIND ONE... I suppose I shouldn't care.
    This.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The average player should expect to find *something* in the way of a high level rare at some point in their playing career. Right now they are vanishingly rare and 99% of players will never even see one from afar.

I think the Heroic Destroyer/Protector sets should stack with the Hearty/Wise/Dexterous set bonus, not be the same spell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast