I am posting this here (and on other boards that I posted the problem(s) I have been having) to help those who may be encountering similar/the same issues with Windows 7, AC, Decal and/or Dual Client.
A caveat, however: Even now I am not confident that the problem(s) will remain solved, nor am I precisely certain what I did that appears to have fixed them. The frustration in all this is the likelihood that I had not just one problem/issue, but several. So when you try a fix and you still have the same problem (or indeed a different problem), how do you know if the fix worked? Fun times.
(1) I went through the general steps that have been posted in many threads and stickies by people far more computer savvy than I am:
- I made certain that my Windows was fully updated;
- I downloaded and installed all of the other applications that Decal and/or AC Dual Client need to run (although in Windows 7 many of these - like .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.5 are included in Windows);
- I established a static IP address for my computer;
- I port-forwarded my router, as described at www.portforward.com;
- I installed AC (NOT into c:\Program Files) as an administrator;
- I ran AC to confirm I could access one account;
- I installed Decal (NOT into c:\Program Files) as an administrator;
- I ran Decal and updated it; then ran AC to confirm I could access one account;
- I installed AC Dual Client (NOT into c:\Program Files) as an administrator;
- I ran AC Dual Client for the first time using the Basic Setup, thereby creating the subdirectories I needed and copying all of the files to run AC into them.
- I turned off the auto port function and set each account with a different port number (in my case 9000, 9002, 9004, etc).
- I ran AC Dual Client and was able to get all five of my accounts logged into the game at the same time.
(1) Because I had tried various iterations of fixes, I had to UNINSTALL AC Dual Client, delete all related directories/files (both AC DC and the subdirectories previously created for AC) AND I ran cccleaner multiple times to ensure that my system registry was clean before I tried reinstalling AC Dual Client.
(2) To have AC, Decal and AC DC running, I am using the following settings. I have no idea if any/all are required. To make these changes right click on the program icon on your desktop and select properties then the compatibility tab:
- AC - runs as XP Service Pack 2;
- Decal - runs as Administrator;
- AC DC - runs as XP Service Pack 2.
(3) Running AC Dual Client I do NOT get the Performance Counters error. As I am running it as SP2, I do get an error that tells me that some AC DC filters are not installed correctly and I should reinstall AC DC. I have ignored the error and I have left these filters unchecked in my Decal display. (You now start to understand why I'm not 100% confident that this is a fix instead of some kind of work-around...)
Good luck to all of you facing this (or similar) problems.
Yours in solidarity,