Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Spring Update Teaser: Shedding Skin

Hm. Well, I will likely make a shadow for cool-factor (at least not on my main server), but I probably won't garner much use from it on a white world.

Having an aug - saving the experience and the time to get to the appropriate level - is pretty cool, and imo makes up for the 2 credits that weren't put towards a skill. As it stands, we are going to have 3 races with a racial weapon, and 2 without. We'll get 3 more races, for at total of 8... I would be happy with an even split (4 races that have weapons, and 4 that are more concentrated on other things).
    ---
    Django: Oh, I'm an Ursuin and I'm dieing, the horror... the horror... it's all getting dark now. I can feel my life drianing out through my paws...

Geneva: Oh I forgpt to mention, after the event, we are all going to hold hands, sing KumBaYah, hug a few trees and then all us o.Os are going to GB2FF.

Quote Originally Posted by TalentScam View Post
    And, there is the "out". Some unforeseen (to us) benefit of their curse of being a shadow was [insert skill here]. Or something else. I'm not here to say how exactly it should happen, just that I expected more from the people who have the authority to say it happened.
    That's dumping something unfounded into the lore. Now if Shadows have naturally higher Missile Defence than other creatures there might be some groundwork, but giving the Shadow Deception is something obvious and inherent from Shadows. It isn't something they've just made up.

If deception is trained/spec that hints that deception will be seeing some love soon. Why give shadows a completely useless skill?

Also, Blackmoor's Favor is an augmentation. Just like Eye of the Remorseless (+1% crit) is an augmentation. Shadows will probably get Eye of the Remorseless instead of Blackmoor's Favor. Nothing extra...

Quote Originally Posted by Karakak View Post
    If deception is trained/spec that hints that deception will be seeing some love soon. Why give shadows a completely useless skill?

Also, Blackmoor's Favor is an augmentation. Just like Eye of the Remorseless (+1% crit) is an augmentation. Shadows will probably get Eye of the Remorseless instead of Blackmoor's Favor. Nothing extra...
    Deception already got some love with gearcrafting. I don't find it useful, but other people probably do. There was also a post floating around recently about not wanting to unbalance racial skills, so I don't think Deception will be getting any other uses. Could be wrong, of course.

Blackmoor's Favor is an aug that you cannot aquire later - they said that the new races will be getting an additional aug which other players CAN get later.

"The only statistical advantage will be the racial skill given to the race. Even the free augmentation can eventually be purchased by other races. We made this decision so the game remains as balanced as possible."

If they're going for balance, I would assume that the new races would get Blackmoor's as well.
    ---
    Django: Oh, I'm an Ursuin and I'm dieing, the horror... the horror... it's all getting dark now. I can feel my life drianing out through my paws...

Geneva: Oh I forgpt to mention, after the event, we are all going to hold hands, sing KumBaYah, hug a few trees and then all us o.Os are going to GB2FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Qorta View Post
    That's dumping something unfounded into the lore. Now if Shadows have naturally higher Missile Defence than other creatures there might be some groundwork, but giving the Shadow Deception is something obvious and inherent from Shadows. It isn't something they've just made up.
    Turbine found a way in the lore to explain how this happened and made it the plot device to this story. How much more of a stretch would it have been to explain how a certain racial skill fit in as well. My hope was for something a bit more worthwhile than Deception, and if the augmentation gem is the balance between the usefulness of the racial skill and something more useful - then so be it.

My original point was that Deception seemed pretty lackluster (I think it'd be pretty hard to defend Deception being equal to a melee skill, but someone will probably try), and that Turbine had an opportunity to use some kind of plot device to rationalize them having a different skill - in the same way that they used Isin Dule in Caul to rationalize Shadows being a playable race. I'm not going to suggest how exactly they do it, because it's obviously too late. But, hey, maybe in the future they'll see that the player base is okay with certain liberties being taken to the lore - that aren't a huge stretch, of course - so that they can get creative with what these new races have to offer.

...My original point was that Deception seemed pretty lackluster (I think it'd be pretty hard to defend Deception being equal to a melee skill, but someone will probably try)...
    While I agree that it is lackluster, I'll try I actually consider the aug to be the "melee skill", while Deception is like Aluvians having Assess Person. We don't get a WEAPON, but we do get a bonus to all attacks.
    ---

And, there is the "out". Some unforeseen (to us) benefit of their curse of being a shadow was [insert skill here]. Or something else. I'm not here to say how exactly it should happen, just that I expected more from the people who have the authority to say it happened.
    I like deception and it fits as well. I was goign to train deception on my shadow if they didn;t come with it anyway, its darn useful since they added the virindi items.
    Endrin the Mercenary 275 spec War/MeleeD/MagicD/Salv

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    Sorry I didn't get a chance to answer this before.

1. Deception
    2. +1% Chance to Crit
    3. None

Sev~

Thank you very much! That's what I needed, and I even happen to like the answers, though that's just a bonus.

According to my math, +1% to crit is especially awesome with CB weapons. I've not done the math with magics, but these should make excellent warriors and archers, and the deception skill will assist arcane lore if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhelos View Post
    While I agree that it is lackluster, I'll try
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhelos View Post
    I actually consider the aug to be the "melee skill", while Deception is like Aluvians having Assess Person. We don't get a WEAPON, but we do get a bonus to all attacks.
    Put that way, that makes a little more sense. I guess we'll have to see if it's spec or trained, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Endrin View Post
    I like deception and it fits as well. I was goign to train deception on my shadow if they didn;t come with it anyway, its darn useful since they added the virindi items.
    To me, unless you're starting without 100 Focus (which is another post entirely), there isn't a lot that you need the virindi items to equip it. I think my Lore buffs to 418 or so? Maybe more? I haven't even had anything that I needed to buff my Lore to the max to wield. And even still, there's rares. Yes, there are bonuses to be gained by them, but I'm not sold that those bonuses are enough to level the playing field, so to speak. On Darktide, this is a whole different story as Deception is much more useful there than on the other 8 servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Angier View Post
    According to my math, +1% to crit is especially awesome with CB weapons. I've not done the math with magics, but these should make excellent warriors and archers, and the deception skill will assist arcane lore if nothing else.
    I'd love to see the math - not to prove or disprove you, but just to be more informed about those bonus to crit augs. Right now, I'm barely lukewarm to them. Without knowing the numbers, I don't know how much more you get out of 11% versus 10% without CS, or even how much more you get from it on CS, either.

Actually we had it trained on the test forum but you are correct, it should be spec'd and we are changing it.

Sev~

Actually we had it trained on the test forum but you are correct, it should be spec'd and we are changing it.

Sev~
    Thanks! Will that make it in time for April?

Are things on schedule for the 13th? (Totally don't expect an answer, but hey, why not)

I hope I can speak for a good majority of the player base when I say that I'm up to my ears with excitement over this patch.

To me, unless you're starting without 100 Focus (which is another post entirely), there isn't a lot that you need the virindi items to equip it. I think my Lore buffs to 418 or so? Maybe more? I haven't even had anything that I needed to buff my Lore to the max to wield. And even still, there's rares. Yes, there are bonuses to be gained by them, but I'm not sold that those bonuses are enough to level the playing field, so to speak. On Darktide, this is a whole different story as Deception is much more useful there than on the other 8 servers.
    Lore reqs go up to 520 I think. So you never having to activate an item at 418 means you are a lucky man.

Thanks! Will that make it in time for April?
    Yes.

Are things on schedule for the 13th? (Totally don't expect an answer, but hey, why not)
    Yes, but now that I have tempted Fate something will blow up I am sure.

Sev~

Yes, but now that I have tempted Fate something will blow up I am sure.

Sev~
    *smack head* Doh!

We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Qorta View Post
    Lore reqs go up to 520 I think. So you never having to activate an item at 418 means you are a lucky man.
    If I only had that luck with what's on the loot.

Thanks for the conversation today. I always enjoy opportunities to discuss instead of argue.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast