Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

WHY NOT?? (A re-release of Asherons Call)

Asherons Call. One of the greatest mmos of all time. Today it is sadly reduced to a few handfulls of die-hards that are mostly level 200+ running around still having fun, but likely with much more fond memories of the good old days in AC's Dereth.

If Turbine has the money to invest soo big in a game that is likely going to turn out as a huge bust like D&D Online, why try and re-invent the wheel when you've already done it so very well 7 years ago. Now days, the mmo community is atleast 100 times the size.. and many are looking for just the depth and game style that AC offers. The only problem is that they want a game that looks more graphically modern, and they don't want to log into a world full of level 200+ toons and feel like such a lonely small fish in an aquarium full of monster fish.

Don't change anything really. Leave the exact same game mechanics in place as your insanely beloved 1999 hit. Just completely overhaul the graphics engine and graphics. And reset the servers to new, fresh worlds. Perhaps combine all your current servers into maybe 2 or 3 "classic servers" for all the old toons. Maybe make the mobs wander this time around. Besides that, just leave everything as it is today. Just modernize it. And please don't add any damn instancing for Christs sake! Keep the seamless world, and please keep your current crafting system.. it makes you truly earn and love your tinked creations.

I bet such a feat wouldn't cost even half as much as Turbine has invested in D&D Online. And even if it did, so what? I bet you a scimilating gem that it would do much, much better then D&D Online ever will.

Advertise the living hell outta the re-release for sure... and then put it out and KEEP IT ON STORE SHELVES!! Do this, and I bet you anything you will have a much bigger hit then D&D Online and LoTR Online will be combined in the long run and probably at a small fraction of the development costs.

I really, honestly don't understand why Turbine doesn't do something like this which seems so obvious to loyal fans of the game like myself and so many others.

If that doesn't work Turbine.. how about "pretty please"? How about a "pretty please with a cracked shard and a pretty pyreal on top??

{forum admin: pleeeeeease forward this thread to someone in charge who has some power just to read at Turbine} ... why not? Couldn't hurt.

- Zaxx

Re: WHY NOT?? (A re-release of Asherons Call)

i'd really enjoy it!
    Untouchables. Guild formerly known as Laton.
    Sheriff Tej and his Deputy Cezium don't f around.
    <+AC1Crowley> cezium, we have to worry about both fun and exploits

Yes that'd be great, but do you really believe you're the first person to think of this?

I think it's something that is worth bringing up again.....I would buy it

LOL, Ofcourse I don't believe that I'm the first person to think of this. I KNOW darn well a LOT of players have wanted this and probably even dreamed of such a re-release of their favorite game of all time... Asheron's Call.

Actually, I believe that people at Turbine have thought of this too. And I also believe that they made excuses or told themselves it wouldn't work or wouldn't be worth the investment as well. They talked themselves out of it.. or let someone talk them out of it. Then they go and spend a TON of money releasing a game that nobody really wants or likes in Dungeons & Dragons Online. Great idea. But damn... what if they had put that same effort and even half the cash into rebuilding AC1 from the ground up with an al new engine? What if? Well a LOT of us know full well that we'd have a kickass game that we'd love to play all over again. Man, oh man. And in a mmo market sooo much bigger then it was back in AC1's peak nowdays, do you really think it would fail with advertising and marketing and shelf space at every Walmart and Target like D&D Online has gotten? I don't think there's a chance in hell it would fail. But do I think Lord of the Rings Online will fail? Absolutely I do.

I seriously want to know from someone at Turbine one thing. Just answer one question please....

What is it gonna take to convince you that modernizing Asherons Call will succeed bigtime? I mean a whole new game engine people. Current generation graphics, but the same game... and ofcourse we all want fresh, clean worlds to play in. Yes I know that some of your old players with those uber characters dont wanna lose their avatars. You can easily keep them happy to and give them current gen graphics as well.

Turbine, how many people do you need to say "HELL YES!" to the question of if they'd buy and play such a re-release of Asheron's Call. Tell me a figure of how many electronic signatures you want to convince the people that matter that it will work. Just gimme a figure and I'll get the people to sign it. Trust me.

Turbine.. you KNOW I am right about this. AC is your baby. Isn't it time to dress your baby in modern clothing and make some REAL PROFIT off of your long time beloved game?

We don't care about Dungeons and Dragons online with 100% instanced junk. We don't want a Guild Wars clone that we have to pay monthly fees to play for crying out loud. We love you guys (and gals) at Turbine and want you to succeed. In fact, we'd love it to death and laugh our asses off if you were to take 70% of Blizzards WoW player base. That would kick major ass! Okay, so that's a little far fetched, but it doesn't mean we wouldn't love to see it. What we really want is a modern generation graphics Asherons Call. It's the game we love and so many more new mmo players out there looking for a game deeper then WOW could love to. "Asheron's Call 2100" (repackaged and rebuilt for "this century" instead of the AC of 99 (20th century) is where it's at. I know I'm not speaking for every single AC fan out there... but I betcha a helluva lot of them agree with me here! Hell, run some polls yourself and see if I'm right about this. Get the data you need to back up such a major rebuild. I want it! We want it! You NEED it!

- Zaxx

The only problem with keeping AC on store shelves is that Turbine has no control over stores.

If a gaming store doesnt want to buy the game, or put it out on their shelves, then you, the consumer who wants to buy it is SOL
    Neo Pheonix, Monarch of the New Britain clan on Leafcull
    Wolfzbane, Member of the Whispering Blade on Harvestgain
    Calef, Member of the Rossu Morta on Harvestgain

Bow before Queen Nuhmudira

pc game shelf space is shrinking too
    Untouchables. Guild formerly known as Laton.
    Sheriff Tej and his Deputy Cezium don't f around.
    <+AC1Crowley> cezium, we have to worry about both fun and exploits

I was once as optimistic as you, but now I am not.

Why?

Most players love Asheron's Call = True
    Most players believe it is better than any other game = True
    Most players agree it needs more put in to it = True
    Most players agree it needs more advertising and shelf life = True
    Most players agree it is fully capable of competing with the larger mmos = True

Most players are willing to help promote this game = False
    Turbine would rather see this game suceed than one of their others = False

Several posts like this have come and gone, including one by me. Very few read them and even less do anything about it. I am not saying that this is a reason to stop trying, I am merely recalling how this subject has been regarded by other players in the past. Thats not even saying anything about how Turbine has expressed their thoughts on it. They have turned their head and ignored it or proposed, "How about a new level cap?". They have incorporated small changes, some bad and some good but they have failed to solve the real problem. I seriously doubt that anyone besides forum administrators even read these posts. Any problems that are passed on are simply technical bugs. Do executives read these? Do developers read these? Do corporate ombudsman read these? No! Action must be taken elsewhere.

One day, MMOS will all be like World of Warcraft. Games will have no substance. Games will have no depth. The principles will be simple and unoriginal. There will be no versatility and there will be no challenge. Then, and only then, will people realize how much Asheron's Call is worth. Only then, it will be just another classic, vintage game and the standard will have already been set.

I am all for this post and as suggested before, there are several hundred game review websites with forums that discuss games which have plenty of room for talk of Asheron's Call. Several advertising ideas that the player base can take part in were put forth in these posts(along with many others):

http://forums.ac.turbinegames.com/sh...ad.php?t=29003

http://forums.ac.turbinegames.com/sh...ad.php?t=28988

Let us all hope that Turbine can get AC back on its feet.

How do you define greatness? AC has a loyal following, but it is a small following. Even in AC big days it lagged behind other games for number of subscribers. So if basing greatness on the number of people playing then AC is a so-so game.

Gameplay? This would be a subjective argument. The people that play AC tend to thnk AC is great. but ask the people that play WoW and they'll say their gameplay is great. Ask that of everyone that plays their game and chances are that is what you will get, my game is the greatest.

To do what you want would take someone winning the powerball jackpot and tossing lots of cash at Turbine to 100% finance it. I don't see your typical venture capitalist tossing money to pay for this, nor do I see Turbine trying to do this either. The ROI doesn't look good to me.

You Never Know!

I think its possible IF and only IF DDO and LOTR do very well

The question is should you try and re release a game with such a bad Rep

I would love to see it though
    Mmmmmm Donuts!

Registered User DadgaSilverhand's Avatar

most players???

huh, some folks just refused to pay 12.95 a month just to see their characters getting killed and drop several items, it turn them off and pushed away, forcing other players to seek "Fun" games. it was suppose to be "Fanasty" game but not playing corpse recoveries.

i like Ac2 and Turbine pulled the plug. do i ever trust them again? properly not. i tried DDO and it is crap, refused to pay the repairs when rust mosters and slimes are over used.

i am playing Eq2, it is almost Ac2 clone and i am finding my niche in there.

i do agree, AC does need revitalizing and reborn in completely new game engine and bigger color palattes.

otherwise, it is stupid to carry several death items. it waste lot of slot spaces and getting more burdened in extreme high levels.

how soon when will there be a salvage packback that were promised and getting extra packbag slot???

problem with AC's current codes, they cant even make bookshelves to place our books and lore scrolls.
    And also limited color palattes, orange is rare and none of us want to damage what left of armor base by reducing 50 pts by failed dye, and that hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Essence
    I think its possible IF and only IF DDO and LOTR do very well
    Then it would be more likely for Turbine to release a game along those lines. I don't know about LOTR, but DDO doesn't play like AC. If DDO does well enough to give Turbine lots of cash to develop a new game, what direction do you think they would go as a company?

Well, due to the simple fact that this is a HIGHLY requested upgrade for Asherons Call by so many over the past couple of years... I think it is certainly time that someone important take a hard, strong look at this request.. not only for the good of Turbines player base, but for the good of Turbine as a company.

By now, I think it is painfully obvious that D&D Online is a bust. They keep throwing money at it with tons of adverstisments (Which I never saw for AC by the way.. how fair is that?)... But D&D Online flat out "sucks". Even the WOW lovers hate the game. Don't even ask a D&D lover about it or you'll likely be returned with several cuss words and emotional anger over how Turbine has insulted their great game. I'm not going to take away Turbines valiant effort for D&D Online. I understand why they took the direction that they did. But at this point, I think it would be easier and less expensive to save Asherons Call with the kind of current upgrades that so many have requested then to completely change D&D Online into something that might be a success.

Look, I'm not an expert, I don't have the data of the numbers of players that are playing D&D.. but I am pretty sure that Turbine is highly disappointed with the numbers they have for their new game. ...Perhaps as disappointed with their subscriber numbers as the people who have bought the game for $50 are with the D&D game. All I'm saying is what is blatantly obvious as long time fan and player of Asheron's Call.

As much money as I have given to Turbine over the years, as well as all the money so many others have given Turbine... I really do not understand why they want to ignore the pleas from us to do whats needs to be done to keep AC alive. And really, wouldn't it be in their best interest to make the needed changes anyhow? Doesn't Turbine want to see Asherons Call climb back up over 100,000 players again? What about 200,000 or even 400,000 or more players?? I'm telling you that it is VERY possible to reach those kind of results IF and only IF Turbine responds to make changes to get this great game current with the technology. It really is sad to see one of the greatest mmos of all time being so damn neglected and to see Turbine thinking that raising the level cap to 275 is the kind of change AC needs. That's fine and dandy for the high level toons so they can show off and brag about how many endless hours they have spent on their character but it certainly doesn't do anything for new customers or new players to the game.

Asherons Call can be a great "current mmo" but it needs a total graphics overhaul to bring it up to some kind of competitive graphics fashion. The graphics overhaul they applied last year, while I'm sure was a chore only seemed to make it 2000 graphics instead of 1999 graphics.

But AC needs a few other things more importantly then a graphics overhaul with a new game engine, and these can be easily implemented one would think with a new engine build. First, we need new worlds for new players to start fresh, and like I said before, not feel like a tiny fish in an aquarium full of monster fish. Secondly, the current servers probably need "combined" into two or three "classic servers" to help them thrive once again with higher populations for all the old high level toons.

We also need to fix the allegiance experience pass up and the insane group exp bonuses and we need to get rid of all the damned bots to prevent the possibilities of leveling from 1 to 275 in a matter of only weeks. That is insane!! ..ofcourse, the fresh servers like I already mentioned would get rid of all the 10 billion bots that are already out there. And then dropping the HUGE allegiance exp pass-ups and group exp bonues would then help prevent the new characters from being level 100 within a week of play. Making the mobs a little smarter and challenging also might do wonders here with the new engine.

But none of this is possible if someone at Turbine doesn't seriously stop and see the light and see how neglected their baby is today. It STILL has soooo much potential. It just needs half the damn tender loving care that is being given to current "crap" like D&D Online. Asherons Call could be so awesome and truly thrive once again with half the money and energy put into it that has been put into other games.

AGAIN, I am seriously requesting that at the least, this and possibly other similar threads be atleast emailed to someone at Turbine to read. Someone who can do something with it.

Thanks.

- A long time AC player from it's release in the fall of 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxman
    Well, due to the simple fact that this is a HIGHLY requested upgrade for Asherons Call by so many over the past couple of years...
    So many? Many in the gaming community? Many that play AC? Many that take the time to post on this board?

Many is abstract, need to talk real numbers. As a saying goes, "In God we trust, everyone else bring data."

But none of this is possible if someone at Turbine doesn't seriously stop and see the light and see how neglected their baby is today.
    It is all possible if you don't mind ticking off a majority of your players. Merge worlds? great, how do you handle housing, names, and unique items? Stop bots? Just need a clearer CoC to get started on this. New server? Even without bots, and unless drastric changes are made to how XP is generated (again), the power players will be running around at level 200+ within a month, within a few months just be the same as every other server.
    Last edited by MaddyFF; 05-19-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Like someone has been saying to me, it's up to the investors if they want to actually invest more money into AC1 and allow Turbine to do a re-release. I really wish the investors knew how many people want a re-release.

Frelorn, please keep this up for discussion.
    Last edited by Kid; 05-19-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast