Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Holy smoke and a pancake... Imperil/Armor Self is only for physical attacks?

I always figured your 'natural' armor helped against war magic, LOL! Partially because I've always seen mages Imperils/Vuln their targets, and because everyone buffs to the fullest and throws on minor/major armor just to be sure. Now I'm told that natural AL which is affected by Armor Self/Imperil, is only for physical attacks. Imagine my surprise! I've honestly never tested this out because I don't own a mage character. But I could SWEAR I take more damage from being hit with Evisceration if I have Swordsman's Gift and Gossamer flesh cast on me from those Virindi Quidox.

So technically I could pester an Archfiend without Executor's blessing on, get Gossamer Flesh cast on me... and the war damage would be the same?
    [SIZE="4"]"If my father were alive, I could make him proud!"[/SIZE]
    Jin-Saotome, Vash-The-Stampede, and Nicholas Wolfwood on Morningthaw

"Do not listen to Jin. He's shown himself to present good, reasonable judgment." ---Paraduck

Jin Saotome's Dangerous Toys

Re: Holy smoke and a pancake... Imperil/Armor Self is only for physical attacks?

Yep.

Always been that way.

Natural armor level, armor, banes shields, none of that reduces magical damage in any way shape or form.

Of course excluding things like Aegis.

Re: Holy smoke and a pancake... Imperil/Armor Self is only for physical attacks?

You have to be careful because gosssamar flesh and Tuskers gift 'look' alike.

Imperils are only to reduce natural armor. Vulns tend to reduce natural resistance to a specific attack. What is really funny is that some critters when imperiled with a level 7 spell end up having more protection than what they started out with due to Turbine's outstanding mathematics.

War Magic ignores banes, armor and natural armor. This is why one mage in full tinkered platemail can just as easily be taken down by another mage in a Suikan robe. I never cared for this, because I thought steel put the ball in the mages court.
    Sheik Yabuda Level 212 Gharu'ndim War Mage (AC1: Morningthaw)
    Artifex Level 54 Human Enchanter (AC2: Dawnsong)

Asheron's Call Video Collection - 139 Videos
    Asheron's Call 2 - Beginner's Guide

"yes these are the thoughts that keep me up at night
    and the sound of lugians stomping through citedel..." -- overslept

Haven't seen one of these posts in 4 years, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by me swat
    You have to be careful because gosssamar flesh and Tuskers gift 'look' alike.

Imperils are only to reduce natural armor. Vulns tend to reduce natural resistance to a specific attack. What is really funny is that some critters when imperiled with a level 7 spell end up having more protection than what they started out with due to Turbine's outstanding mathematics.
    you mean when monsters counter vuln?
    Untouchables. Guild formerly known as Laton.
    Sheriff Tej and his Deputy Cezium don't f around.
    <+AC1Crowley> cezium, we have to worry about both fun and exploits

No

Crystal golems for example, they have nearly 0 for a base armor level.

You cast imp on it the armor level actually goes negative.

but

Turbines superior math turns this into a positive ( it shouldn't, but it does ) effectively increasing the critters armor level and decreasing the damage it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by me swat
    Turbines superior math turns this into a positive ( it shouldn't, but it does ) effectively increasing the critters armor level and decreasing the damage it takes.
    I think you are mixing something up here (no offense), for example players have a base AL of 0 as well, and if I imp a dispelled PK/PKL, he goes down a lot faster

Do you mean AR by any chance? AR does have indeed a bug with negative armor levels, if the monsters AL is -200 for example, it could raise the AL up to -120, effectively lowering your damage

Dunno I have never had the pleasure of actually wielding an AR weapon. It seemed every time I had someone try to tinker for me things blew up. I just know if I imp'd a crystal my poor leeetle 10 base damage dagger did even less damage than before.

I could be mixed up on the base AL though. I didn't pay attention to stats. I just did what worked. .. and never repeated what didn't heh.

Either way .. the math didn't work.
    Last edited by me swat; 04-05-2005 at 02:54 AM.

You've been living in a dream world, Jin. I imagine that right now you're feeling a bit like Alice, tumbling down the rabbit hole.

Aribeth - 193 Archmage
    Mishelevka - 137 Archer

AC1 Morningthaw

Duirrochanar - 85 Loremaster
    LoTRO Laurelin

AC2: Nishnabotna, Ganymede, Firefox, Bluenose, Stormstar, Mishelevka

And you had the nerve to post as if you were in authority and undertood the game.

Now the people shall see the true face of ignorance.

"War Magic ignores banes, armor and natural armor. This is why one mage in full tinkered platemail can just as easily be taken down by another mage in a Suikan robe. I never cared for this, because I thought steel put the ball in the mages court."

*clap*

And this is one of the reasons AC needs fixing.
    Last edited by Shaolin; 04-05-2005 at 08:14 AM.
    Turbine

Wow... Jin, you've been playing FAR too long to just now be realizing this

Your next question will soon be this: why is a melee/archer only issue, controlled by magic?

Something I've wondered for years.
    Archmage Shao Majii of MT
    Proud Member of the Knights Of Fortune.
    http://www.fortunesway.com

"Thanks for taking time out to provide us with this information. Turbine is committed to developing the best possible online entertainment. Your opinion is appreciated." Really? Then why aren't my forum posts doing any good?

Yep, a war Mage solo hunting would never have any reason to cast Gossamer Flesh. (unless they're out trying to UA chickens and rabbits).

Hence the meat and potatoes of the 80 page post about skill and balance issues. 20 skill credits and untold billions in xp to hunt at the same level as a 90 mage is a shocking reality when you break it down.
    This all passed through how many hands before it was implemented....can you say Eyes wide Shut!
    Shadow of Lokania, Female Aluvian Sword, Attuned and Bonded to Vlad Morbius.....Vlad Morbius, Male Aluvian UA, Attuned and Bonded to Shadow of Lokania

LMAO@ Shaolin! Do you really think I'm the authority when it comes to playing AC? Well hell, nobody ever accused me of that... until now, so THANK YOU! That's a pretty big ego-booster man, I appreciate it.

I'd actually have to play a mage in order for that kinda stuff to relate to me. Since I play melee/archer, I notice that Imperil does make a difference.

Now I'm wondering how much difference there is between 'natural vulnerabilities' that creatures have when it relates to war magic vs physical damage. We know Bludgeon does more to Olthio, but is 'physical bludgeon' different from 'war magic bludgeon'? For example, does cold or slash do worse for sword users, but decent for war magic users?

Here's another question in relation to war magic. VoD critters are stated to have a 'high natural armor level'. You smack them with a slash render sword, you get like 40 damage. So I take it if you smack them with a war magic spell, you'd get full damage because war magic passes through that super-tough al? I just don't see all that much difference when a sword user goes up against a vulned critter, they tear it down just as fast as a mage would with war magic.
    [SIZE="4"]"If my father were alive, I could make him proud!"[/SIZE]
    Jin-Saotome, Vash-The-Stampede, and Nicholas Wolfwood on Morningthaw

"Do not listen to Jin. He's shown himself to present good, reasonable judgment." ---Paraduck

Jin Saotome's Dangerous Toys

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast